Going through and updating systems to newer versions of PHP8.1 and mariadb on a newly installed FreeBSD 13.1 system. When attempting to connect to the default “localhost”, I was being greeted with:
mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory
Any php database connection attempts to localhost were failing, which is the default for a variety of code out there, including phpMyAdmin and WordPress. Changing the connection host to “127.0.0.1” instead of “localhost” allowed it to connect, but I didn’t find this to be an acceptable solution as it should work for both. After doing some searching, I found the following solution to be the best option: Continue Reading
Debian stable just jumped from the previous etch 4 to the new lenny 5. For those looking for an easy upgrade path, there actually isn’t much to it. I ran through an upgrade a short while ago and if you’re interested in the process, here were the steps I followed:
I had previously setup a few FreeBSD systems to act as PPTP servers for places that I had them acting as firewalls using mpd. However, I was constantly running into problems with “No buffer space available” and packets would drop, connections would be sluggish, etc.
I was just doing some system upgrades and decided to look at other options. I found a port called poptop “the pptp server for linux” in the ports distribution, and even a howto online detailing what my configs should look like. So I gave it a shot:
Having just acquired some new hardware at work, I decided to do some tests to see how well this system would run. Here are the specs of the system running the benchmark:
- Supermicro X7DA3+ MB w/Intel 5000X (GreenCreek) chipset
- (2) Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5450 (3.00GHz/1333FSB/2x6MB) CPU
- 3Ware Escalade 9650SE-16ML PCI-E 256MB w/16 PORTS + BBU
- (8) Kingston 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz FB ECC CL5 (16GB)
- (12) Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive (RAID 50 array)
To test it out I installed FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE AMD64. Install completed flawlessly, so it was time to do some compiling.
A vanilla make buildworld: 48 minutes
Not bad.. but not amazing either. So I decided to do some threaded compiles to stress the system a little bit. Since it’s an 8 core system, I used the following:
time -h make -j8 buildworld
The resulting time of: 12m 33s was nothing short of impressive.
Following up with a:
time -h make -j8 buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
Resulted in: 52s
Gentoo 2007.0 has been out for some time, but I just now got a chance to setup a few new Gentoo systems. Previously I’ve always installed via the 2006.1 installation media, either the LiveCD or LiveDVD, and used the GTK installer. While the 2006.1 GTK installer was certainly buggy, I was able to get a process worked out that allowed the system to be loaded fairly consistently each time. However, it was *much* more difficult with the 2007.0 LiveCD and DVD.
Here are some of the trials that I ended up going through..
While looking for an easy way to keep my Slackware install up to date, I just ran across this article:
Now that Slackware 11.0 is out, you may wonder what is the best way to update the distribution. Swaret is an open source project that aims to keep various versions of Slackware up-to-date. I use Swaret and some cron scripts to keep my servers current automatically.